Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sometimes You Have to Learn the Hard Way


I never liked to wear the safety glasses in Chemistry class. That is stupid, I know. And I knew it then, too. But it was high school, a time when skin clarity was pretty much the most important thing in the world, and I simply didn't trust a UV light to thoroughly clean an object that rested on the faces of countless oily teenagers. So with my weird, teenage girl priorities, I usually decided to set my goggles aside.

And then one day, I leaned across the counter to grab my pen. I had completely forgotten about the Bunsen burner and my lack of protective eyewear. This ended up being almost as disastrous as it sounds. Luckily, I immediately realized my mistake and jumped back, so I didn't jack up my face at all. But I did manage to burn off all of the eyelashes on my left eye, and a good chunk of that eyebrow, too.

I learned two things that day:

Always wear the safety goggles.

Eyelashes take forever to grow back.

No comments: