Sunday, January 20, 2013

Now Where Will She Sit?


So this is mostly a desperate plea for information.

When I was in third grade, we were taught a mnemonic device to help us remember the planets in order of their distance from the sun. It went: My very excellent mother just sat under new pines.

But since Pluto is no longer a planet, now what mnemonic device are children taught? Also, do children learn about Pluto at all anymore? Or has it been completely stricken from papier-mâché solar systems all together? Because that seems sort of elitist to me; like an outer space caste system.

I miss the old you.
Maybe I'm just continuing to mourn the loss. Hopefully, with time, a world within an eight planet solar system will start to make sense. As it stands, I'm still reeling for poor, forgotten Pluto.

No comments: