Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Might Be the Cause of Global Warming


I have a confession to make: I only use bath towels once before putting them in the laundry. Sometimes I even use two towels for a single shower so that I have a dry one for my hair. And I have always thought this was completely normal. But I've learned recently, through a couple of obviously riveting conversations, that most people use the same towel at least twice.

Those conversations mostly ended in a mutual sense of surprise (and maybe a little bit of disgust). I was surprised that perfectly normal-looking people are willing to rub all kinds of microbes, old skin cells, and whatever else comes off their bodies, right back onto their freshly cleaned skin. And people were usually shocked to hear that I'm willing to do that much laundry.

They have a totally legitimate point. Which is why I have seventeen towels on the shelves. For two people. And I feel kinda bad about that. Because I recognize it's wasteful, but I honestly don't intend to stop.

But my Christmas lights are solar powered, so it balances out, right?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I usually use the towel more than once. But occasionally I am too lazy/late in the morning to hang them up, then they smell so I have to wash them.

Unknown said...

Totally justified. The fact that you get 3 people ready every morning gives you a pass on almost everything else for the rest of the day. Seriously.

Unknown said...

I don't reuse towels either, and I do laundry for 4. I have 10 towels just for myself, which are the ones we got for our wedding. Eric gets all of the old college dorm ones. That's fair, right?

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. At least I'm not single-handedly bringing about the demise of our planet. Just helping.